Marilyn Manson, 40, was born Brian Warner in Ohio, where he attended a strict church school. In 1989 he formed the band, Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids, taking his name from Marilyn Monroe and murderer Charles Manson. He first caught the public’s attention with the release of his second album Antichrist Superstar, in 1996. He followed this up two years later with Mechanical Animals, which debuted at number one in the Billboard album chart and, like Antichrist Superstar, went platinum. Over the years, Manson’s lyrics and lifestyle have attracted a cult following and led to him being banned in some states in America. His new album, The High End of Low, has just been released. Marilyn Merchandise
1. When were you happiest?
About fifteen minutes ago, because I’m on medication and it’s starting to wear off!
2. What is your greatest fear?
Fear is something I instil in other people, mostly young girls.
3. What is your earliest memory?
When I was seven or eight, I was playing with my cartoon toys – Scooby Doo and Daphne, the red-haired girl – and I felt a very strange feeling. It was my first sexual arousal, and now I feel that all girls with red hair are of the devil.
4. Which living person do you most admire and why?
Alejandro Jodorowsky, the director famous for El Topo, Sante Sangre and The Holy Mountain. (He performed my marriage ceremony.) He is one of the greatest geniuses of filmmaking.
5. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
I suppose my shyness.
6. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Fear of commitment.
7. What was your most embarrassing moment?
Every time a girl that I’ve been in a relationship with, has chosen to go to the tabloids and made a statement that benefits them, at the expense of me. But, I’m like Santa Claus but worse, because I have this list that I keep: I know that I’ll end up either as a ghost, vampire or werewolf and live for another 1000 years, and I’ll destroy their great ancestors.
8. Aside from a property, what’s the most expensive thing you’ve ever bought?
An engagement ring for Dita von Teese. I didn’t get a refund: I think she deserved to keep it for her time served at the Institute of Manson!
9. What is your most treasured possession?
Either Hitler’s coat-hanger or my bedroom walls, because I’ve written all my lyrics on them. I’m trying to figure out how to have them removed without the people who own the house that I’m vacating, finding out.
10. Where would you like to live?
In a hotel.
12. What makes you unhappy?
Not being in control of my life.
13. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
That it causes so many girls to cry!
15. Who would play you in the film of your life?
16. What is your most unappealing habit?
Fortunately I don’t have the energy to bury women in my backyard – that would be an unappealing habit! My most unappealing habit would be, being very affectionate and attached to people that I meet, and not having enough time in my life because of my work, to spend time with them.
17. What is your favourite smell?
18. What is your favourite word?
19. What is your favourite book?
The Bible, because it causes me a lot of trouble. I memorised it as a child and I’ve also burned it, put my penis in it and stuck pages of it in terrible places.
20. What would be your fancy dress costume of choice?
I’ve always wanted to go to a Halloween costume party contest and just be me – I think I’d lose. So often people come up to me and say that I’m not me.
21. What is the worst thing anyone’s ever said to you?
22. Cat or dog?
Cat. Lily, my white Devon Rex, has been the only loyal woman to me for seven years.
24. What is your guiltiest pleasure?
Collaborating with Lady Gaga, who I think is fantastic.
25. What do you owe your parents?
I support my parents, so I think I owe them only an apology for being me.
27. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Unfortunately, what has been the downfall of all relationships is that the greatest love of my life is, what I do.
33. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
34. What is the worst job you’ve ever done?
I did attempt a non-homosexual blow job on Twiggy, my best friend. I did not create an erection, and I certainly wasn’t erect, so I would say that’s the worst job I’ve ever done. He had a condom on, so my mouth didn’t really touch his penis: I consider it science.
35. What has been your biggest disappointment?
The last three relationships I’ve been in.
36. If you could edit your past, what would you change?
38. When did you last cry, and why?
I did shed a tear snorting a line of some mysterious white powder that someone gave me.
39. How do you relax?
Laying in bed with my cat on my chest and watching movies.
40. How often do you have sex?
Not enough because of you. There’s a girl in my bed and you’re interrupting me!
41. What is the closest you’ve ever come to death?
I’ve never had necrophilia.
42. What single thing would improve the quality of your life?
A brain transplant.
43. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I wish I could say record sales or Grammy awards but, since I’ve been blamed – unjustly – for so many acts of violence in high schools, I am going to have to go with the death toll.
44. What keeps you awake at night?
The fear that someone next to me will be silently judging me while I’m sleeping,
45. What song would you like played at your funeral?
I wrote a song on my new record called Four Rusted Horses about my funeral, so that’s what I want played.
46. How would you like to be remembered?
As long as I am remembered that’s sufficient for me, because if I’m gone, I don’t give a fuck.
47. What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
Never go ass to mouth.
48. Where would you most like to be right now?
Inside a woman.