Gok Wan, 35, was born in Leicester. He studied at London’s Central School of Speech and Drama and went on to work as a hair and make-up artist and a fashion stylist. He worked with celebrities and appeared on television and in magazines as a fashion consultant. In 2006, he was approached by Channel 4 to host his own television series, How to Look Good Naked. The third series of Gok’s Fashion Fix is currently running on Channel 4. He lives in London.
1. When were you happiest?
Immersed in a bowl of noodles sat around my parents dining room table with all my family… bliss!
2. What is your greatest fear?
To fail or worse still, I have a fear of failing at failing!
3. What is your earliest memory?
Pretending to be a witch in my sister’s lilac bedroom using a copy of her ‘Little Women’ as a spell book.
4. Which living person do you most admire and why?
Tricky one as I have so many. Mum and Dad for staying true to their love, Sister for combining integrity and humour, Brother for never being afraid and my best mate for showing true loyalty.
5. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
My need to always be right. It’s a right pain in the ass for everyone around me.
6. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Lying, especially about how they feel about themselves.
7. What was your most embarrassing moment?
When I was working as a stylist, I was called in to meet the All Saints at a recording studio in Primrose Hill. When asked to go and meet the girls, I opened the studio door, tripped and landed in Nicole’s lap! Not a good start, but I got the job.
8. Aside from a property, what’s the most expensive thing you’ve ever bought?
My car… brum!
9. What is your most treasured possession?
10. Where would you like to live?
In a huge house with all my family and friends, somewhere close to Selfridges, with blossom trees at every window.
11. What would your super power be?
To be invisible – can you imagine!
12. What makes you unhappy?
13. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
My right foot – don’t ask!
14. If you could bring something extinct back to life, what would you choose?
15. Who would play you in the film of your life?
16. What is your most unappealing habit?
My OCD for tidiness.
17. What is your favourite smell?
18. What is your favourite word?
19. What is your favourite book?
Holding The Man (by Timothy Conigrave).
20. What would be your fancy dress costume of choice?
A big brown paper bag – I’d be a Chinese take-away!
21. What is the worst thing anyone’s ever said to you?
The buffet is now closed.
22. Cat or dog?
23. Is it better to give or to receive?
24. What is your guiltiest pleasure?
25. What do you owe your parents?
26. To whom would you most like to say sorry and why?
My cleaner because I ask a lot of her (see answer 16).
27. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
My family and friends.
28. What does love feel like?
29. What was the best kiss of your life?
30. Have you ever said “I love you” without meaning it?
Yes! The guilt, oh the guilt!
32. Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
Tracy Chapman, Elvis, Joan Rivers and Coco Chanel.
33. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
34. What is the worst job you’ve ever done?
Sold double glazing.
35. What has been your biggest disappointment?
Forgetting to take a risk.
36. If you could edit your past, what would you change?
37. If you could go back in time, where would you go?
38. When did you last cry, and why?
Two weeks ago – because I was confused.
39. How do you relax?
Spending time with my friends.
40. How often do you have sex?
None of your business!
41. What is the closest you’ve ever come to death?
The last question!
42. What single thing would improve the quality of your life?
Eight hours sleep a night.
43. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
44. What keeps you awake at night?
Worrying, about everything.
45. What song would you like played at your funeral?
The Promise by Tracy Chapman.
46. How would you like to be remembered? “He was gay… he just liked ‘bangers’!”
47. What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
Nothing is impossible unless you really want it to be.
48. Where would you most like to be right now?
Eating Dim Sum with my sketch pad.
49. Tell us a joke:
What do you call a cheese that doesn’t belong to you?